This past Friday I was a little bored at work, so I decided to ask Ms. Rebecca Rose a question that had been on my mind for a while...... What are the requirements for being a New Yorker? I assumed Rebecca had already qualified, but I wondered what the actual parameters were to be included in this 7 million+ club were. Here is the exact response that Ms. Rose sent me back. I for one think it is dead on.....
Rose's Response:
I fear that I have become a new Yorker! hahaha. I can tell you the biggest reason that people think I am a new Yorker. Fast walking. You have to walk fast wherever you are going. If you are printing something out, walk as fast as you can to the printer. hahaha-- that's what I do and that's what New Yorkers do.
I suppose Yankees doesn't hurt:)
You should talk on your cell phone in a restaurant
You should run for the subway from one train to the other if you hear it.
You should never look up (I know you don't... but I did for a long time) at the tops of buildings.
Apparently you should never refer to the colors of the subways, only the letters and numbers. This I did not know. Now I am aware, though:)
You shouldn't ever be afraid of pickpockets-- at least not out in the open. I feel like real new Yorkers know that this doesn't happen that much.
You also shouldn't be afraid of neighborhoods-- that looks touristy and like you read something somewhere about new York being dangerous.
(do you like how I'm making this all up?)
You can talk on your cell phone.
You should definitely have an ipod!
I don't know if this makes you a new Yorker, but you look like you belong here if you speak to people on the street. I say hi to the vendors I pass every day, and even the homeless man who sits right near 1221.
I think it's new yorkerish if you refer to what side of the street you are on by the directions of a compass. For example-- my building is on the south side of 49th between 6th and 7th.
Those are some ideas. Do you have others?
Okay back to me.
I think this is a perfect list and by this definition I would say I am about 90% a New Yorker right now. Who else has any ideas on this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Lol, this is fab. I will contribute to this when I'm not trolling away in the library.
I think there needs to be a going out requirement and a going out to eat/eating certain foods requirement. I didn't quite make the cut as a new yorker, but I'd like to see what your opinions are on those subjects.
Matty B....are you ever gonna update?
Ohhhh, zingerdissen
yes. within the day
Post a Comment