Thursday, October 27, 2005

Homecoming Weekend

So finally after three days I felt the desire to actually talk about homecoming. My reasons for waiting so long were threefold
1) I was way too depressed about the weekend being over on Monday and Tuesday to even think about writing about it.

2) I needed a day or two to actually remember enough of what happened, so I didn't write a pile of crap (props will happen anyways though).

3) I couldn't decide actually how to write it.

This weekend was probably the last time I will see all of my friends and acquaintances from college all together in one place. I would be a little more upset about this, but about 92% of my closest friends are within a few hours drive of NYC, with Tim, Sean,Greg, and Kara outstanding. Now this would suck considering that 4 of my top 10 friends from school (I can rank later if you want me to) are out of the area, but write this down:

1) Greg will not live away from Jersey too long. For a 132 LB kid he will really miss the who jersey food scene. My confidence= 100%

2)Tim will most likely move back in the general NY vicinity because 1) His family is from this area 2) Lindsay Taylor (his girlfriend) and her family are from this area. My confidence=85%

3)Sean will move to this area or I will murder him. Also all of his friends live here. But mainly my confidence is based on the fact that I will threaten his life if he doesn't. My confidence= 92% (8% chance I bury him in the Everglades)

4)Kara = No chance at moving to the Northeast corridor. I feel this will be a friend who I will hopefully trade visits with. My confidence=0%

Okay so anyways the weekend= amazing. Best way to go about explaining it will be as I always do..............The return of the running diary!!!!

Friday Oct 21

2:15 PM - Dinger calls me to tell me that Curtis Sumpter is out for the year. At this point I am doing about 50 things at once, so I can clear my desk to leave at 2:45

2:45.5 - PM All Clear, now time to find R. Rose and get on my way down to 'Nova

3:10-5:30 PM - Driving down to Nova, Rebecca and I decide to both play the favorites of our iPod lists, the results= basically a singalong between the two of us. Very campy but very fun. Rebecca is in my top 3 of people to travel in a car with. Always talkative and engaging, I was thoroughly entertained.

5:45 PM - I get to my sisters apartment and she is already annoyed with my friends for being obnoxious. Not good.

7:15PM- After buying the sister some alcohol time to go to my favorite bar at 'Nova (besides when we used to go to McGillicutty's Junior year) BROWNIES!! Oh yeah its homecoming, so I waited for a half hour to get in.

9:00 PM - Kristin and the Noise is getting ready to come on stage in a bit, and Justin is flirting with with a girl!!! Excellent times!!! (On a side not this girl look exactly like a chick I saw on this late night mini series on HBO. Too bad the girl in it was a prostitute in a whorehouse in Nevada)

11:30PM - Dinger swoops in to cockblock Justin. Why you ask? That's just his style. Probably a good thing considering this girl has given everyone in our group of friends the eyes. Maybe she is from that late night show?

12:30 AM - Sean, Justin, Greg, and I leave to go to Wawa to get food. Dinger apparently left to go to Kelly's with the "girl" (all of our minds put together couldn't remember her name).

1:30 AM - Back on West. Kristene (Sean's ex shows up) and he goes and hooks up with her. Hahaha just kidding, I'm lying. We all get to bed around 2, and Justin is sad because his mom couldn't tuck him in, he didn't have his one piece pajamas and his concierge didn't leave him a glass of milk and a candy on his pillow.

Sat Oct 22

10:30 AM - I have my first beer.

12:00PM - We start playing drinking games in my sisters apartment, as she hosts kegs and eggs. Justin shows up halfway through and is a worse friend for not hanging out with us for the full time.

1:30PM - I take my first absinthe shot.

2:30PM - I take my 4th or 5th absinthe shot. I proceed to pass out, and according to my sister, Jinelle verbally abuses me. At this point what really separates the Brian-Jinelle relationship from Doug Christie and his wife? Maybe basketball ability, but that's about it.

3:00PM - For some reason I go out to my car. I think it was to move it closer to to the entrance to my sisters apartment or something. Regardless this decision has a major impact on my day, as I proceed to pass out for 3 hours. At this point I have been drunk since like 8:30 the previous night mind you, and when I wake up I still am buzzing real well.

6:00 PM - I wake up and go back into the apartments.

6:01 PM - My sister goes off on me because I have been missing for three hours. Naturally I left my cell phone in her room, and didn't tell anyone where I was going.

6:07 PM - Jinelle comes down the hall barefoot and crying, asking where Dinger is. I called him 3 minutes before this, and they were waiting outside in the car, getting ready to go to dinner, perfect timing.

6:08 PM - We leave for Manayunk. On the way there we stop at Dinger's sisters house near Saint Joe's to have a few beers. My buzz is now back up to it's earlier stature.

7:30ish PM - We meet Rinne and Mel at some restaurant (that for the life of me I can't remember its name) right on Main Street in Manayunk. Justin and I decide to get in a fake verbal spat to make all of our other friends uncomfortable. It was about 47% effective.

Okay so the rest of this night from about 9PM-3AM was kind of a blur and I don't have a great recollection of time. After we finished our dinner we walked about a block to Leah and Jen's apartment. I can't say enough about how much I like their location and setup of their apartment. It is a dream apartment and location for the 22-28 year old young professional. While we were there we met up with the rest of the crew: Jamie, Leah, Melissa, Mike, Dan, Bobby, Gillian and Marta. As usual with this crew we took our time and hung out, and had a couple of beers before we left. Dinger and Justin were antsy to leave (as Justin had to be up for a tee time/work/yell at his Mexican helpstaff) and they departed with Mel and Rinee.

A while after we left for the Manayunk Brew Pub. Now this place is just like John Harvard's, and Iron Mill Brewery in which they brew their own beer, under their own name. These places tend to be a little more pricey, and there were no brand names available besides Corona, so us Miller Lite aficionados had to open up minds and wallets a little more than usual. Don't get me wrong I love these places, but they have been popping up everywhere over the past few years, and I feel the market is becoming saturated with them.

While we were there we met up with Timmy and Lindsay Taylor, and basically Sean, Greg, Tim and I just bullshitted for most of the night. It was great hearing how Tim's summer went, what he was up to right now, and the fact that he is the MIDDLE SCHOOL BASKETBALL HEAD COACH ! I loved this, and was jealous, because I think it would be so much freaking fun to be a little kids team coach. As per our college style we ended up closing the place down, and left around 2:00 or so.

After we left the bar we decided to go back to Leah and Jen's place to continue the party. We called Justin and Dinger, but Justin was already tucked in with his teddy, and they were back at St. Joe's. About 5 minutes after we walked, as per usual about 3998 shady Guys walked in following the girls. Sean and I, realizing it was a sausage fest, and that we were kinda beat decided to cab it back to 'Nova, finally ending the night around 4AM on West.

Sunday Oct 23rd

Remember how you always dreaded coming home from vacation when you were a little kid, and were upset when it ended? (Well as many of you who were with me on the last night of Spring Break 05 can testify I am still like this, oh well) Well that was Sunday. It was a day filled with goodbyes, after such a brief and euphoric weekend. It started very lazily as Sean, Greg and I rolled out of West Campus around 1, and drove down to South Philly to meet Timmy and LT at Geno's, to dine on Philly's favorite 1,500 calorie food.

(On a side note who doesn't love Tim and LT as a couple? Probably the most fun couple I have ever bee around. I personally will be SHOCKED if they don't tie the knot.)

After leaving Tim and Lindsay at around 2:30 it was time for Greg and I to drive our favorite Floridian to the airport so he didn't miss his plane, beack into his hurricane ravaged state. After we dropped of the Accountant, it was time to go home and Greg and I drove together back to 'Nova. Now You many ask why would I drive about 20 minutes out of my way to Nova before I went home? The reason for this is I needed entertainment for my ride home, and enter stage right a trio of girls who needed a ride home, Katie DiP, Rebecca and Gina P.

At around 3:30 PM or so I picked them up and their presence was exactly what I needed as if I had to drive home alone I would be likely to listen to early '90's grunge music and drive my car off the Turnpike, I was beginning to realize the weekend was over, and getting sad. It was a fun trip back to the NYC as I had fun teasing Katie about her liberal political views and news slants, and I love joking on both Rebecca and Gina P. At around 7 the Matty tour bus had competed his last stop by dropping Rebecca off at her apartment in Manhattan. On the ride back to Long Island I was delighted to listen to an epic New York Giant comeback win on the radio, but also realized this weekend put a close on the "College Years" a chapter of my life. Tear.

Anyways I thought it would be fun to grade all of the people I was this weekend, on how available they were and how much I saw them. Below are my non inflated grades:

Top of the Class
A+ Sean Bennington- We basically hung out for 36 straight hours and were up to our usual shit
A+ Greg Byrne- When do I NOT hang out with him?
A- Dinger- He was back to his old, fun, college self, if only for a weekend, cock blocking and all.

Middle of the Curve
B+ Jamie, Dan, Mike, Bobby, Gillian-As usual the myspace crowd was fun
B +Timmy- He was pretty busy this weekend (as he hadn't seen his girlfriend in a while) but his usually fun self shone through
B Rebecca-Had a hilarious time going back and forth from NYC. A female Dustin.
B Melissa, Mel, Rinee, Marta, Leah

Going to Community College
B- Justin- As usual he disappointed a bit.
C DiPerna, GP-where were you guys before Sunday night?
C- Kara- After Friday never saw her again. Hopefully see her next homecoming.

Wait listed at Central Conn. St.
D+ Nora-Going out for only one night during homecoming is weak. Worse because the excuse was studying
D Cait- Not around our group much at all. Only saw her once for like 3 seconds on campus.
F Chomps- Come on buddy make the freaking trip.

Anyways don't get mad, and please DO leave comments ifIi forgot anypertinentt part of this weekend. I want to hear if anyone else got as sappy about this weekend as me, and felt that they had an EXTREME case of the Mondays on Oct 24th.

2 comments:

infiorno said...

First of all, since when is homecoming weekend the last chapter of our college years? I would have figured that Justin's graduation party was the last part of the college years.

Second of all, you should be happy that you left the weekend euphorically instead of having it drag on until it was not fun. It's always cooler to leave a fun party early than to stay at a good party until it becomes lame (or a bunch of LXA people show up and refuse to leave on Saturday night).

I feel like I have more to say but then that would take away from my blog...

Anonymous said...

hey im sad that i got a C its not my fault your ass passed out for 3 hours in a car who does that. plus i was busy slooting around campus like always!!! love ya and yes we will exchange visits!!! this i have 100% confidence