Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My Grades after 6 Weeks

So today I came to another realization about another difference between life before the grind and work life. This difference is that for my entire life prior to work life I have always been graded on things I did. Whether in school with the A-F scale or in sports with points everything in my life had a value attached to it. Since I have been at work I realized it is a bit different. In work life the grades are more like a pass/fail course, and your assessment is based more on whether you make it in to work on time and don't screw up. Since I have always liked a tangible grading scale as opposed to the loose one that applies to my life right now I figured I would give myself a midterm grade, like in school (like about 6-7 weeks in) to assess my progress in life. Sadly though if I wanted to give myself a real "midterm" grade, I would have to do this at around 42 or 43.uuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Report Card

Dealing with the fact that I'm going to be working for the next 43 years= F
  • Everyday since June 20th I've tried to comprehend how I'll be able to go through the daily grind in 2 to 3 years, let alone 40. Thinking of this makes me want to give some serious props to my dad.

Actually performing my job well= C+

  • While it takes me about 20 minutes to explain what I actually do at work, I'm doing an alright job, and not asking too many retarded questions. I think the people there were scared during my first few weeks at how slow I was, but as usual while it takes me a while to catch on to a new job, my progression is very steep and fast.

Meeting new people in Delaware= INC.

  • While I have made a decent network of friends down here, I have not really expanded it in the past 4 weeks. My network only extends a few people deep and these are basically my roommates at my first house. I give myself a INC instead of a C- because I really haven't been around here for much on the weekends, as I have kept my 10 week streak of driving more than 200 miles intact all summer. If in 6 weeks this is the same though I might be suicidal.

Adjusting to life in a new environment= B+

  • I would give myself an A, but the fact I've been away a decent amount has hampered this grade. Moving to Delaware has given me much confidence for my big move in 2006 (ps I won't be in Delaware next fall) , as I now know I can move anywhere in the country without knowing anyone and still do alright.

Dealing with the fact that I'm not in college= F-

3 points illustrate this perfectly

  1. I have successfully visited college and high school friends every weekend since I have been at work
  2. My new apartment is in a college kid complex and I am living with a student as a roommate. On a side note my place is so college that they actually discount your rent just for paying on time, re-dic-u-lous.
  3. I have probably made 10 collages of pictures on my digital camera, and have been looking at older photos from Frosh/Soph year incessantly. I knew acting like a Japanese tourist for 4 years would payoff at some time.

Wow I am lame.

And one final grade... Keeping in touch with friends after graduation=A++

  • I have talked to every one on a semi consistent basis since May 22, except Timmy Dinan, but that is more circumstantial than anything. Since the infamous day I also have remained in contact with people who I would have never guessed I would have even seen until homecoming or later. I guess this proves I am the champ of communication or holding on to past memories, take your pick.

Well this narcissistic piece probably has done nothing for you except realize you are dealing with post grad better than me. Congrats!

2 comments:

infiorno said...

I like this self grading concept!

Unfortunately, if I applied this to my life my grades would be a little too similar to my actual grades at school :(

Romeo Foxtrot said...

maybe you wouldn't have to be "Dealing with the fact that I'm going to be working for the next 43 years" if you paid more attention/were getting less oral during Cash Flow