Okay so it as taken me a bit too long to write about my "sick" day on Thursday, when I went to CT and NYC for interviews, but I have my reasons. First off I know as soon as I say "Wow, what a productive day, or I killed my interviews," I'll get some sort of rejection letter or something. I'm kinda superstitious about that. Anyways here is a running diary of my Wed night-Thursday trip.
Wednesday
5:15 PM- I am in my car and driving away from JP Morgan. I really have lost all interest in going the extra mile there or staying for any sort of overtime at all, my goal is to slack as much as I can without being called or labeled as a slacker, so as not to influence any future employment opportunities with bad references.
8:45 PM- I make it home. With a 10 minutes stop included on my way home I officially drove an average of 834843 MPH to get home.
Thursday
1:00 AM- Bed finally, I prepared my butt off all night, I am officially having that "before a big test" uneasiness as I go to sleep.
7:30 AM- After dreaming about bombing both interviews (a good omen, right?) I call my boss to tell him "I threw up all night and can't make it in." This was very uncomfortable for me because he actually picked up, and I couldn't just leave a message. WTF since when is he in the office this early.
(sidenote:when I went into work on Friday I blamed my sickness on my roommate cooking me up a bad hamburger helper meal. This is funny for two reasons
1) I absolutely hate hamburger helper. It reminds me of the trashiest white trash food that anyone could eat, besides grits
2) My roommate loves hamburger helper and grits. I now officially treat him with the same kindness Dan bestowed upon his roommate Chompaloaf during Junior year.)
10:01 AM- Fuck Connecticut road construction. My interview is at 10 and I am there not a minute early. This shit is going to to go well considering I am already a bit frazzled. I am in Norwalk, CT right now, and realize that if I get this job I could squat at home for a week or 2 to get myself set up, and situated. Ok I have to stop getting ahead of myself
11:05 AM- Interview #1 done. I LOVED the job description/training program. I am a little dejected though as I probably gave a B or B+ performance. The fact that I haven't been on a real interview in about 4 months and was a little off my game going in led to this, but I seemed to present myself in a good fashion. PS I don't think their office could have been more modern chic.
11:06: AM- Shit I have 4:30 hrs. To get to NYC for my interview. I am 45-50 minutes away. I am in official "kill time mode" before my next interview.
11:46 AM- I set up shop and prep for an interview at Starbucks. I hate Starbucks coffee/food but I needed a place to sit and work and I didn't want to loiter so it was an obvious choice. My latte tasted like pure crap as expected. Seriously I love the Starbucks business model so much, but I absolutely hate their products.
12:30 AM- Time to leave Starbucks. I am in a very residential/nice area but I found out the store next door was held up yesterday. Ummm yeah I don't need the drama today, off to NYC.
2:45 PM- Since my interview is in Midtown I killed these hours by driving and walking around, prepping some more in a juice bar, basically the most boring part of my day.
2:50 PM- I walk over to the office on 31st and Lexington. I was told they would see me at 3, and I am so bored I figured it was time to get over there. Also old people like it when you are early so I figured it was a good thing to do. This is already going a lot better than the 10 AM.
4:55 PM- I walk out of the office, beaming. After meeting with 3 people and told by the main boss that "That went pretty well, huh?", and being interviewed by a very attractive chick, I skip down the street to pay $30 dollars to retrieve my car from the garage I parked it in. I don't want to jinks myself by talking about the interview any more, but I don't think I could have personally done a better job, so I am proud of myself. I cant wait for this comment to come bite me I the ass......
4:58 PM- Hmmmmm I am in midtown right before 5. Something about this situation is bound to suck.
6:01 PM- Yup rush hour traffic out of Manhattan=no fun. Still on the positive high of my interview I am not particularly annoyed, and I call Gina and Katie to see if they want to hang out or get food.
6:15 PM- As perfect timing would have it I get in touch with Katie and end up getting to Katie/Gina's apartment about 5 minutes before she gets home from work. Katie had talked to Mike and Rebecca and they were going to meet us in NYC. In the mean time while waiting for Katie I scared the shit out of Gina, who stumbled upon me waiting for Katie while walking down her front steps. Honestly like how weird must have that been for her, having her ex-bf randomly sitting on her front steps. I wish I could have read her mind to see what she was thinking at that moment.
7-12 PM Okay I am tired of writing. Go to Mike's site and read about all the fun we had in NYC and be jealous. The prospect of having fun nights like this on a semi-regular basis made me very excited and pissed off at the same time. The only reason why I am pissed is because I am not there now.
Friday
2:02 AM- Back in Whitetrashville, DE. It seriously took me a 2 hrs to get home from NYC, and it is a miracle I didn't get pulled over.
So I had a really good weekend after Dinger did his normal flake job and went to go sit at the beach with his wife again for the 29398383 straight weekend. I guess I'll write about it soon, but I am so done with typing today. My roommate is having a "party" here now with his white trash friends, which is good becuase it is making me apply to twice of the amount of jobs in NYC so i can get outta here. Hopefully these applications will all be for nothing and I will get one of the jobs I interviewd for, but we will see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yes young padawan, feel the intoxicating embrace of the dark side of slacking.
Post a Comment