Saturday, August 20, 2005

Have you cheated on your wife lately?

Being that I have never been married and that I haven't been in a serious relationship in 3 years, my answer to this question is no. This being said, this entire week I know exactly how a fella in this situation would feel, with my constant sneaking around and shadiness at work. As many of you have noticed my quote of the week has been ,

" Searching for a new job while at work is feels comparable to cheating on your loyal, yet ugly wife."

My week has been filled with me giving between a 45% and 50% effort while fielding at least 5 phone calls a day. Seriously this Friday I didn't even deserve to get paid, I literally did an hour worth of work all day. Well all of this sneakiness has paid off, as I have 2 job interviews on next Thursday. Both of these are in the New York area, meaning I am going to have to take a "sick" day on Thursday to attend them. I am really excited to go on these and have been prepping for them with about 50% more effort than the past. Anyways most of you have jobs so I'm sure talking about interviews isn't very interesting to you at all, so I'll quit talking about them and just talk about the results from them later.

Other Random things:

I just read 2 books in 3 days, one on real estate investing and the other was the famous "Moneyball." I think the fact that I have read 2 business books this week (with "Cashflow quadrant" being the 3rd book I have read this week) cements me as no longer being a carefree and oblivious college student. No longer is the fact that it is "M" or "B" night at Maloney's the center of my life, and it will unfortunately ever be that way again.

Justin, Dinger and Myself are all planning to go to Happy Hour at Brownies next week. I give this a 25% chance of happening, as there is a 25% chance that Justin will have too much law school work, and a 50% chance that Dinger will opt out for the normal "Jinelle is jealous" or "I have to go out to dinner" excuse.

I can't talk to most people on the phone for over 20 minutes without getting bored. If it is with a member of the same sex this threshold goes down to like 10 minutes. This ADD for some reason doesn't apply when I talk to Dustin. I think this is true because it is usually a "Seinfeldian" banter when we talk, and I have to do very little to explain certain scenarios, as he understand them instantly. Also, in a totally irrelevant topic, I have the feeling that in the next 4 to 5 years we will be business partners of some sort, as long as he is not married by then. His one wife prospect at this time would probably not approve.

Dinger has aged 5 years in the past 3 weeks. He is now 30 years old. He will have a mortgage and a wife within three years. He will have a pregnancy within 2 1/4.

If I get a job in NYC in the next few months I have a 0% of an idea where I will live. This intimidates me.

Regardless of anything that tries to hold me to this area, I will be moving by Thanksgiving. My drop dead moving date is Christmas, in which case I would quit my job with no job lined up or in waiting.

I like the center of town in Newark (DE) a lot. I do not like knowing but 3 people in the state, and having very little social activity during the week. I need to live in a city. I seriously might have ADD.

My roommate is either white trash, or a hick. I am leaning towards hick, mostly because I feel his family has some money. Regardless I have no desire to find an answer to this question, as I do not care enough.

All I have in this apartment right now is cereal and ramen. Time to go shopping for food, which might be the biggest event of my day. I'm being very lazy/nerdy today.

I will post some pictures tonight, I promise.


Your house (or future house) is not an asset, it is a liability. An asset is something that provides you with positive cashflow. I feel this should be taught the first day of business school.

Alright ACME time. Yanks go for the sweep tomorrow. I have been investing about 55% of my baseball emotion to the Yankees this summer with 45% going to the Phillies. My usual percentages are like 95.5% to 4.5%. I have been to 6 Phightin' Phils games and only 2 Yanks. I feel very odd about this. So for the record I am cheating on JP Morgan and the Yankees this summer. I am a slut.

4 comments:

infiorno said...

I feel so confused... I also feel like Bobby has had a very direct and abrupt impact on you. You really hate work that much?! Wow, I'm fuuuuuucked starting tommorow.

PS, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad too, but I still don't get a house is a liability. Like, doesn't owning property make you with assets? Aren't all these books very pro-real estate?

Romeo Foxtrot said...

Hah thanks for the shoutout Mike. My influence is subtle yet pervasive. For more advice on slacking please visit http://romeofoxtrot.blogspot.com/2005/03/how-to-slack-like-pro.html

A house is a liability as long as it's draining money from you and you're not gaining anything from it. Imagine an 80 year old woman who won't sell her $700,000 because of emotional attachment. Looks like a big asset on the book but it's a liability.

If you leverage your house with lines of credit or whatever to fund other investments then it's sorta an asset. The problem is most people buy big expensive houses that just drain money from them.

Overall I like Matt's whole entry, altough it probably could have been broken up into two or more topic specific entries. But then it wouldn't be Ramblings of a Greek would it.

I like the analogy of work to an ugly wife. Sure it's secure, people are nice, but I personally feel no attachment to that. Hours of commuting to Allentown or doing useless auditing have desensitized me to corporate America. I'm sorta on the same page as T.O., my company can cut me at any time and the money's not guaranteed, so I gotta get what I can get.

Let me know how Cash Flow Quadrant is, everyone recommends it but when flipping through it I thought it seemed to repeat his concepts I've already read in his other books.

Mike Matt and Justin let's get a game of Cash Flow going one of these weekends and not invite Dan or Kara. Justin's high risk for staying in the rat race for life.

Anonymous said...

haha Cashflow sucks!!! Honestly who plays board games

Romeo Foxtrot said...

justrelac you were thoroughly distracted and complaining about the rules or something. maybe we can blame it on you being drunk but you didn't seem too interested. and by the way Anonymous, board games are awesome. ever play Cranium? Risk? Monopoly? Mario Party??