Friday night started off great. My dad is friends with some people back at home who are very influential and connected in the New York sports scene. This family also is the one who founded the NFL and were the owner of the Bears for over 50 years. Anyways enough of the name dropping, basically my seats were awesome, 3rd row from the court, right next to the press row. I entered MSG, sat down had a beer and enjoyed the first game immensely, as Syracuse and Georgetown played to a thrilling finish. At the conclusion of the game I was very energized as I was close to the court, close to the 'Nova student section and directly across from the Villanova bench.
The game started and as you all know 'Nova came out flat, and was down by 10 at the half. I was not too concerned as we had been in games like this before, and our team is known for it's resiliency. With 19:28 left in the second half, the game came to an end for me and most of the Villanova faithful, as we all tried to gather information regarding the most horrific looking injury most have ever seen. As our teams emotional leader, Allan Ray, laid on the ground and violently kicked the floor we all knew it was serious. I then became a human call center trying to get information regarding this, and was told it was a very serious eye injury and was one of the most gruesome things most had ever seen. Luckily I did not see the up close replay as I might have thrown up. As I left the game I was an emotional wreck. A classmate of mine (Good old American Geography) and a quality individual had the distinct possibility of losing the sight in his right eye, as I was told again and again how horrible it looked. Instead of hailing a cab I walked for about 20 minutes towards my apartment, wondering why this would happen to such a nice guy, and why after all the years of hard work he would have this horrible thing happen to him on the precipice of the start of his professional career. Immediately upon getting home I went up to my room not even saying hi to Thomas and his mom (aka Mrs. Doubtfire) and tried to find information regarding Allan. As the night wore on more and more positive information came out (he regained vision, he would be able to go home with the team, and he would most likely be able to play again this year) I slowly calmed down and was able to pass out around 2:30.
Saturday March 11
I woke up and realized in my delirium of the night before I failed to eat breakfast. Oops. Jayme and I began our day and random adventure by going to Chipotle to get some nourishment before we started our "random adventure day." Once we finished we proceeded to do some movie shopping at Best Buy, and went to a few personal healthcare stores. After we had done our requisite shopping, and since we were on 5th and 23rd street recommended that we go check out the South Street Seaport, a place I have heard about but never been to in NYC.
After walking through a Chinese section of town where everyone and their mother was asking me if I wanted a to either buy sunglasses, gold, or a handbag (Do I look like a chick?) we made our way to the Seaport. Once we got there Jayme and I both felt like we had missed the memo about the attendance at the pier. On Pier 17 about 7 out of 10 people were wearing green. Why were people doing this you may ask? Because it was an early St. Patty's day celebration! Cheap Beer! Relaxed open container law! Cheap beer! Jayme and I were in heaven, as we called two more friends (Erin and Todd) to come join us. Life could not get better. The four of us were hanging out on the pier, drinking some beer, soaking up the sun and just shooting the shit. It was an afternoon filled with simple pleasures, and I was plain content just relaxing and letting the hours roll by.
As the hours rolled to around 5:00 PM we all decided to go to our respective apartments and get ready for the evening. We decided to "fake our maturitytm" and pretend we were adults for the night. To do this I decided to wear some clothes that would have been permissible for work, but were also casual enough for me to comfortably wear out without feeling like a tool. Erin labeled this as my "mullet outfit" as it could be for a party or for business, much like the hair style which the NHL made famous.
Our destination for the night was "The View" on top of the Mariott Marquis, which provides it's patrons with a stunning view of Manhattan. The four of us decided to go partake in the buffet, and then go out drinkin' when we were finished. Here is where the "college kids" in us came out, as we all ate wayyyyyy too much, and the other three experienced a fullness that I like to call the "food coma." We ended up staying at "The View" for almost 2 hours but after dinner our plans unraveled, and we went back to our respective apartments. My late night was not a waste though as I watched one of the most legendary movies in the history of cinematography, "Anchorman."
Sunday March 12
Missing the family a little bit, I took the train home to CT for the day. Now back in NYC I have all my laundry washed and folded, I have some new clothes, and have my lunch made for me for the next 3 days. I also had an amazing dinner tonight, and my mom made me her "signature salad." Seriously my family hooks me up, and I love being able to see them on a semi-regular basis. I am a dork.
On a random note I like 'Nova's bracket for the tourney, besides the fact that Boston College is a potential Sweet 16 match-up. By the way, anyone who is expecting me to be sane during the next 3 weeks of "March Madness" will be highly disappointed.
Okay time fore bed. Grandpa Matty needs to rest up for work. I can't wait for St. Patty's day.
BTW I will be posting more frequently, and will be back to my normal sarcastic form in the upcoming posts this week. Stay tuned, it is going to be an eventful few days.
2 comments:
Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»
Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»
Post a Comment