- I left work early on Friday to make it down to Happy Hour at Brownies. Now for those unfamiliar with Brownies, this place is the amazingly cheap and popular bar which every Villanova student goes to for at least an hour on Friday nights. From the basketball players to the Engineers, no one can pass up 50 cent beers and 75 cent mixed drinks.
- Speaking of 50 Cent- he was at Nova during Hoops Mania. Seriously has there ever been a more displaced musical artist at any event? I mean the man has been shot 9 times, and now was performing in front of one of the lease diverse student bases in the country. There was a 0.000000% chance of him adding shot number 10 to his body, unless it was a shot of cognac with some rich alums.
- Walking into Brownies on Friday I had no idea I was going to have one of the most surprising moments of my life. I have to say that this moment ranks right up there with my Dad getting Yankee World Series tickets in '98 and the Valentines Day '02 in some of my most "taken aback" moments all time. I walk in up to our normal spot on the 2nd floor and Sean (one of my best friends, and someone who told me multiple times he would be a no-show this weekend) is standing in front of me. In classic Matty B for all I can do is grin and say "You Motherfucker!" a million times.
- The Brownies bathrooms were 5 times as gross as I remember. Brownies catch phrase should be "attractive rich girls in the club, 3rd world conditions in the bathrooms" absolutely disgusting, I won't even go into detail.
- Sean, Dinger, Lauren (Dinger's GF), Greg and myself all went back to sleep at Dinger's place in Wayne. Guess how we got home??? Oh yes it I felt like it was 1996 again I was coming home from the Waterbury Movie Theatre. Yes we are all 23. And yes, Dinger's parents picked us up from the bar.
- 11 AM on Saturday-Justin "I only hang out with my friends when it is convenient" C-ik shows up. I left out the S in his name so this doesn't show up on his "character and fitness" screening in law school. By the way Justin has 3 girlfriends right now and has never spent less than $100 on a dinner. True story.
- Around 1PM Sean, Dinger, Greg, Justin,and myself all head to the main event of the day, "The field." Dinger gets us over there at the speed of sound in his rocket ship. Basically this event is one where all alums and Seniors congregate on Sheehan Beach and drink beer and stuff their faces with food. Yeah seriously there is no real reason for this except getting shitfaced and hanging with your buddies. God I love catholic school.
- On the field I saw about 25 of my sisters friends before I finally say her. I spent most of the time talking with these "Freshman" who I used to host over my apartment back in '03-'04. Wow I can't believe how short ago that seems.
- I haven't mentioned this yet but I have totally forgotten how STUNNING 'Nova girls are. Of course my sister knows tons of them too. New York is filled with beautiful girls for sure but, damn I miss college. Okay this thought is going nowhere, but making me mad. Ugh.
- After the field we go into Kelly's bar/lounge and who do we see....'Nova legend and '85 NCAA Tournament MOP, Ed Pinkney. Of course Sean goes and talks to him and of course he offers him a shot. Why does he do this? Because that's what Sean does.
- After Dinner at Gullifty's and Greg peeing his pants in excitement over a last second Notre Dame win, we stopped by Sean's old girlfriend's apartment and Dinger's old girlfriend. A little awkward time for everyone.
- We go back to Dinger's to change and then again in 1996 form Dinger's father drives us fools to Mannyunk to the bars.
- Before the bars we stopped over Jen and Leah's apartment in Mannyunk for a "pregame party". Everything feels as normal and as 2002ish as ever.
- We go to the Manayunk Brew Pub around midnight ( bars close at 2AM in Philly, knowing this makes me somewhat of a bitter New Yorker) and the night is pretty nondescript until the very end.....
- Okay so I need to inform you all on a little backstory. Greg "Christian Conservative" Byrne found out that one of my close friends was gay about a year ago. Since then everytime I see Greg he has asked me to ask this person a question. He has said, "Matt, ask Dan which one of us in "Bitch Wing" (our freshman year wing of our dorm which 90% of my closest friends at Nova lived in) he thinks is the hottest?!?" Now Greg never felt I would ever do this so he thought of it as a running joke. Sure enough though at the end of the night I found Greg standing next to our good friend, so I proposed the question right there to Dan "Greg wants to know which one of us you think is the hottest?" Greg could not be more embarrassed, and when Dan told him that with a make-over he would be the top one, hilarity ensued. Dan teased Greg about being a homophobe and Dinger, Justin, and I probably teased him about Dan's response for over an hour when he woke up the next day. By the way if you missed it earlier in the paragraph, Greg is very Conservative.
- We left the bar around 2 but Greg still wanted to go out drinking. We were all kinda beat from the day-o-drinking so we didn't listen to him despite his pleas. He passed out in the cab on the way home(almost hitting his head on the meter) and also sitting up with a glass of water in his hand on the couch. Good thing this child had adults with him.
- Dinger concluded our weekend with a classic exhibition of his drunken eating. The kid is like a vacuum for food when he has had a few. Seriously Kobayashi better watch his back
Anyways the rest of the weekend was uneventful, and I got back to NYC at around 7PM on Sunday. Monday was terrible as I had the "I wanna be back at Nova, I hate the real world" Homecoming Hangover effect. Okay I have to go do some stuff now, and I am getting boring. Later.
MB
No comments:
Post a Comment