Monday, December 12, 2005

Lets get all drunk and shitty, and meet me tonight in Atlantic City

A random thought: I think I have set a new Matty B record. I have noticed that in the past 3 months I have not once been in a prolonged (like more than 15 minutes) bad mood. I know this seems unreasonable but it is true. I just don't get mad anymore, it is so weird!!

A Second thought: Since graduation is about half a year in the past, I have realized a sad simple fact that seems quite obvious. I just realized that some of my friends who live in far places from me (FL, CA, IL, VA, etc.) will become bi-annual friends, meaning that on average I will see them only a couple of time a year. If I wasn't so distracted by all of newness associated with me living in Manhattan (the new people,things to do, places to visit) I would probably be really upset about this.

A Preamble: When reading this be aware that my sober waking hours < my drunken waking hours this weekend. Be prepared for fuzzy and inconclusive stories. Oh and by the way I am bagging the "timeline style of writing" that I have been notorious for recently. Time to go back to the superficial short style that I love.

After Working 55 hours this week......
Bye Bye office, hello weekend. After notifying my boss that I would be in Atlantic City for the weekend, I was off to Meet Mike, Liz, Rob G at a Thai restaurant on the Upper West Side. As I left my boss shouted "Don't lose your shirt, and watch out for the hookers!!!," My office is so freaking classic.

Friday Night Freak Show

After eating we decided to go to Hunter College to a "Rock Show Party." Now to be honest for once in my life I was at a loss for words, and cannot adequately describe this event.
Okay since I am lazy I am going to plagiarise Mike. Here is his rendition of the shitshow:

"My mouth dropped when we entered the room and everyone in my group feared for our lives. We were all wearing brightly colored JCrewesque clothing and were clear targets for these people. Hunter College events usually surprise me everytime I go because of how easily school organizations can provide alcohol to underagers, and now I was surprised with how they organized a mosh pit and let kids jump around and hit people in the perimeter of the room. Why couldn't these punk kids stay in the middle of the room? After Anthony's friend got roundkicked in the face, we had to make sure we left the room (to avoid people in our group retaliating) and find a place to drink."

I took pictures of this ecevent BTW, and it was worse than it sounds. If my computer didn't have herpes right now I would post this to exemplify this horrifying event. You'll just have to wait until I get my computer fixed on Saturday to see this disaster.

Introducing you to my new friends (who may or may not replace you)
After this experience I decided to NOT flake on my roommates, and go join them at this "classically college" bar on the Upper East Side. Now before I set the stage, lets be honest, this is a MAJOR achievement for me. I am the classic flake out. Ever since my high school days I have made a habit of planning to hang out with more than 1 group of friends in an evening, and totally piss off the second set. Now at around 11:30 when the roommates called me back to back from different phones, I knew they were expecting the classic flake out, but for once I pulled through, and made it to the bar just before my name was called to participate in my scheduled game of beer pong (Which my roommate Jayme conveniently signed me up for.).

Okay as usual let me set the scene of this bar.....I walk in and the bartenders are standing on the bar, handing out free beers for no particular reason. About 15 minutes later, after I had won my first game of beer pong the attractive female bartender was standing on the bar, pouring shots into people's mouths. In the back are 4 beer pong tables, and you sign up for the game on a chalk board. The name of this bar is "The Big Easy" and I give it a 17 out of 10 rating.

Okay so 2 of the 3 roommates made it out tonight, Jayme and Brian. Since this weekend was so eventful, I am only going to give the mini bio on each one.

Jayme- A super chill girl from California (went to UC Davis), who is the biggest partier in the house besides me. She is a mix of Rebecca Rose's ability to pick up random references and Kara, in her propensity of going out , and making everything a good time. She is working for a law firm right now, as an assistant of some sort, but has been accepted to George Washington, and Georgetown Law Schools to date...wicked smart. We watched Saved by the Bell together every morning before we go to work, and yes we are 22 year old college graduates, thank you very much.

Brian- A polite kid from North Carolina (Went to NC State). He seems like your typical nice guy, but can throw a zinger out there when you least expect it. He does research over at Rockefeller University, and is some sort of bio/chem/engineering major. At the bar on Friday this girl was trying her best to pick him up, and asked HIM for his phone number (My favorite bit of entertainment of the night). He was embarrassed by this, (the girl was not too hard on the eyes, but super annoying) and I have teased him about this and threatened to steal his phone and call her ever since. Classic Matty B-harassing my friends for my own enjoyment.

So to sum up the night.....I met a bunch of Jayme's friends who were really cool.

  • Brian and I teamed up and won 3 or 4 games of pong in a row.
  • It is very odd playing beer pong when you don't know your competition very well, it makes it much more competitive.
  • I still have my shooters touch at beer pong
  • I scolded the "shot girl" for exploiting an old drunk man at the bar. She felt bad and apologized to me.
  • I walked home 30 blocks with my roommates, laughing the entire way.
  • I bought Triscuts as my drunk food and Jayme hasn't let me live this down since.
  • I got to bed at 4, and had to go to AC the next day.

Atlantic City Transportation
The bus to Atlantic City is ridiculously cheap, and pretty fast. If I was all Bourgeoisie like my good friend Justin I would have hated it, but it was so cheap I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I was.

Atlantic City
In AC Greg and I walked around looking for a sportsbook to sit in for an hour, but gave up and ended up at an Irish Pub inside our hotel, which was the Tropicana. To be honest this who night wasn't too eventful, as Villanova won a sloppy game in a somewhat dead environment, and Greg, Justin, and myself all got rip roaring drunk. Dinger as usual was about 71% less fun because he had his girl Anne Bibby around, and was toting around all of her friends. It was disappointing, as he went to bed early, and did none of his Dinger"esqe" antics that we love him for. He didn't even stay at our hotel, and was tucked in wayyyy before he should have been.

In conclusion, I knew it was time to go to bed when I was playing on a video blackjack machine at 3 AM by myself, not really caring if I won or lost. We all left planning our next get together, which will hopefully be over New Year's Eve in Philly. Dinger left me skeptical of his attendance as his classic Jewish line of "Hotels are expensive" and "Maybe my mom could pick us up on New Years" (so he could save the $$ a hotel would cost) left me with the feeling he might flake out on us. I guess it takes a flake to know one.



2 comments:

infiorno said...

"I knew it was time to go to bed when I was playing on a video blackjack machine at 3 AM by myself, not really caring if I won or lost."

What a quick zingerdissen!

Anyway, I have 2 things to say:

1: the last time you were mad was last week when we were trying to go to cafe yaffa in the village and you were on the other side of the island (and sluringly drunk). Sure, it can be considered a drunken thing, but it was a pretty valid outburst of anger.

2: I'm curious, how much was the bus ticket to AC? And did the bus stop in Toms River on the way?

MattyB said...

Yeah I kinda forgot about that, but I wasn't angry, just a little frustrated. About 2 minutes after I got off the phone wuth you I was over it. The bus round trip to AC came to a net total of $10, becuase it costs $30, but they give you a $20 coupon to gamble, that you can just cash in as soon as you get there.