Tuesday, September 06, 2005

2 Part Rambling

Okay so 2 things to talk about to ya'll today.

1) I had the best Labor Day Weekend that I can remember.

2) I am 98% sure I will be moving to NYC this October.


This weekend I drove over 850 miles, yes Magellan over here drove to DC, to the Jerz Shore, to CT, and lastly to NYC all in my customized 4 day weekend, so I am kind of over the whole driving thing right now. Monday in Ct was just a relaxing veg out day, and Friday night in Newark was just a very college type night with house parties and bar hopping, basically a very standard Feb '04-May'05 night for me, nothing too special. Saturday and Sunday are the days of this weekend which made this weekend my favorite post college one yet.

Saturday

After clearing up my hangover I drove down to DC to hang out with Poppy before my tailgate with my friend Matt. For all of you not fortunate enough to go on our SB '05 cruise he is the friend I made on this cruise thanks to Megan, as she introduced him and his fiance Christina to our rowdy group. After downing a pizza and watching some collegiate football with Greg, it was time for me to go to the Tailgate that Matt and his friends set up prior to the Phillies-Nationals game. Don't' worry though I made sure I was late getting there by getting lost driving the mile from Greg's house to Matt's.

The next 3 hours were a blur as working Matty now gets drunk in about 20 minutes off 2 beers. Basically I sat and bullshitted with Matt and his friends in the parking lot until we realized, whoa, the game is 2 innings old, we better pop in there. After 5 innings we made like Californian's and left in the 7th, which was good because a) Christina wasn't feeling well b) the Irish were on c) I was so drunk I could barely see the game and follow the action from our awesome seats d) The Phils lost in extra innings (they are 2-5 when I go to their games)

SO Matt dropped me off back at his apartment and I watched the Irish for like 12 minutes before I passed out, as he went out to eat with everyone else. After I watched a Laguna Beach marathon on his HD TV, I left the capitol, and made my way to Island Heights, NJ. At some point I will have to explain my obsession with Laguna Beach, and how I wish I was 17 and living in a rich and shallow California beach town.....

Sunday, Sunday

At 7 Mike, Rob, Travis and myself started to play a game that would ultimately make us better friend and future business partners. The game we played was Cashflow, and it affected our lives dramatically and changed the nature of our friendships, so as those who chose not to play made a decision they will regret dearly, as they will be members of the "rat race" for the remainder of their life. Cashflow is more a learning experience that a game that has winners and losers, and the game really helps you to make wise business decisions. Only a true business major could appreciate this game, and it was a one of a kind experience. After our game we chilled out watched a very coked out but very good movie called "Sin City," and watched Mike antagonize his little cousins, who seem eerily too smart for their age.

Okay the NYC paradox, time to finally explain,


The past few weeks I have figured out the career path I want to pursue. The profession I found that suits me is Investor Relations, in which the needed skills are a mixture of marketing, communications, and finance. I have found there are many of these opportunities in NYC which first made me re-evaluate my anti-NYC stance.

The second determinant that changed my mind was seeing how many of my friends were living and loving NYC.

Thirdly I realized how ADD I am and how I need to be entertained constantly to be satisfied. Newark,DE is not exactly the entertainment Mecca of the world.

The final two decisions I made were that 1) my job's advancement/growth isn't that good, and as much as I hate the snow/winter, I love the fall more, and couldn't give that up. There is a lot more detail into each decision but that is the overall overview. I was offered 2 jobs in NYC today, and am on cloud nine, so I am going to sit back have a beer and pass out.

Next step in my life, learning how to quit a job and break up with my roommate, honestly I dread these 2 things more than anything, even the Game 7 2001 Luis Gonzalez World Series bloop hit. Any advice on how to do either would be greatly appreciated:)

2 comments:

Romeo Foxtrot said...

tell them both you're going to Iraq

infiorno said...

A few questions/comments about the job thing:

Do you have to give 2 weeks notice for your job?

You can really play up the fact that you want to be in the city - and they'll have to understand that.

If it goes shitty, at least you don't have to ever see them again. Ever.